Saturday, February 28, 2015

node.js experience wanted

Hello all,

If there's anyone in the community, or even just reading this blog, that has experience with node.js and a bit of time I would like to recruit you for a special task. The task is to get bodega-server (and maybe the webapp or admin client too if you're so inclined) to actually work again. It worked at some point in the past year from what I hear, but currently it just spews 404 error pages for any api call it gets. I gather that this is because the nodes that it uses have changed their api since it was written. My time is limited and I've poked it enough to not give warnings at runtime anymore, but someone that really knows the ins and outs of node.js could probably fix it much faster than I so I am asking for such a brave soul to come forward and get the next generation software/data/"stuff" distribution system to do so. I know you're out there and you're considering, stop considering, hop on #kde-devel or #kde-www or anywhere on freenode and find me or others trying to get this going. Or just look at the code itself here and throw me some pointers.

I can't promise much except fame, thanks, admiration of your peers, etc. but hopefully that's enough.

P.S. this couldn't happen soon enough, ocs/attica, knewstuff, and opendesktop/kde-look, etc. are really showing their age. Having bodega working would make a lot of awesome things possible again.

2 comments:

Jonathan said...

Disclaimer: I have no prior node.js experience.

However, when I move the

require('./routes.js')

line to just before

app.use(function(req, res, next) {
utils.render404(res);
});

I no longer get 404 messages but instead some JSON data.

Jeremy Whiting said...

Jonathan, you're awesome. Thanks for that fix. Another step towards a working system, you rock.